More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1) - Mary Balogh, Rosalyn Landor Regency painter’s easel, by Theodore Alexander
★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Rosalyn Landor has an amazing ear and an ability to deliver the accents of England’s social strata. This raises her reading of Historical Romances to the upper echelon. There are lots of characters from different class levels in this novel, and her talent makes it that much more fun. She is fast becoming my favorite narrator for this era, though she does modern day beautifully, too. My eyes light up when I want to revisit one of my favorite “comfort reads” via my ears and I see she is the narrator.

It isn’t easy to switch back and forth between male and female voices, especially when they are in the heat of passion; it takes a deft tongue and a sharper mind. She does all this effortlessly and with perfect enunciation; I’m sure because she understands the characters so well; I never find myself being pulled from the story by any blunder.

Of course, it is worth listening to Ms. Landor reading [b:More Than a Mistress|10484029|More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1)|Mary Balogh|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1302382398s/10484029.jpg|1111587] just to hear the combination of love, understanding, and gentle reproof in the tone of the heroine when she says the hero’s name, after he makes a defensive comment – born from a mixture of new, bewildering, and hurt feelings – while slipping from the bed where they just made sweet love.

I adore this book! [a:Mary Balogh|9759|Mary Balogh|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1267712180p2/9759.jpg] is one of my favorite authors and this is one of my all-time favorites “comfort read.” Jocelyn Dudley, Duke of Tresham, is a brilliant combination of rake, haughty arrogant duke, and dangerous wounded hero – marvelously unaware that all he needs is love in his life. He has been callously and efficiently molded to perform his aristocratic duty, but Ms. Balogh’s heroine breaks his stiff reserve. Jane Ingleby delightfully stands up for herself, but manages to stay true to the Regency era. She calls Jocelyn on his male chauvinism with lady-like grace, all while keeping her secrets close to her chest.

P.S. I love this musical CD cover picture, which I think nicely depicts Jane and the room she decorates. It is easy to image the above painter’s easel within this Regency setting:
Mistress Series on Audio
[bc:More Than a Mistress|10575859|More Than a Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #1)|Mary Balogh|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348885327s/10575859.jpg|1111587] [bc:No Man's Mistress|10540891|No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)|Mary Balogh|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348894952s/10540891.jpg|97636]