A Superior Death  - Nevada Barr, Barbara Rosenblat Isle Royale National Park,

Photo by ohkayeor

Rock Harbor Light in Fog

Underwater photo from: Scuba Emporium
Chicago, Illinois

★★★½☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Though this novel isn’t written in first-person point-of-view, [a:Barbara Rosenblat|12492|Barbara Rosenblat|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1332211833p2/12492.jpg] sounds like the way I think Anna Pigeon would. She does a nice job here narrating. While she doesn’t do a lot of vocal ranges for the many characters, she does a good job of telling the story, and delivering Anna’s thought process.

Each book in this series has a different background setting in a U.S. National Park; this one is set in Isle Royale National Park, an isolated spot where wolves and moose abound, far from the sights and sounds of everyday civilization. As a protagonist, I enjoy Anna Pigeon, the autonomous - but insatiably curious - ranger employeed by the Park Service. In this second installment of her series by [a:Nevada Barr|43613|Nevada Barr|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1251393185p2/43613.jpg], I like that there is a complex mystery – or should I say mysteries – running throughout. So much so that I’m glad Shelfari has a list of characters to which an audio listener may refer.

I like Ms. Barr’s writing style, and she has a way of describing the stunning beauty of Anna’s soundings, be they an eerie underwater dive to a 1927 shipwreck in Todd Harbor off Kamloops Point in the depths of Lake Superior, or the kayaking sites around lichen-covered rugged coves of Passage and Mott Islands.
The island’s somewhat gruesome history—it was named for Charlie Mott, who had tried to eat his wife one long and hungry winter—was all but exorcised by the banal necessities of bureaucratic life.
In addition, I like that the multiple mysteries are solved along the way, not all at once at the end; some are connected, some not. I did have some issues with the ultimate justice for some of them, but not enough that I won’t continue with this series. Plus, it really did make me want to visit this beautiful National Park on the Canadian boarder.